Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tuesday, January 26th

Greetings from the capital of Complete and Total Exhaustion.

The Cakes module is totally kicking our cake loving arses.

Yesterday we started our Celebration Cake, and worked on it more today... And will finish it tomorrow. Hopefully.

Today we made our Black Forest Cake (below) which is comprised of Devil's Food Cake, cherries (on the bottom layer), cherry flavored liquor sponged onto the layers, and a cherry liquor flavored Chantilly Cream topped with maraschino cherries.




Today we also baked the cake that will comprise the layers of our Boston Cream pie which we are to assemble tomorrow.
This class is so crazy that the Chef called us around at the end of class to explain that in order to be successful in this module, we need to get lots of sleep, make sure to eat a good breakfast every morning, and to focus on being zen.
Zen?
We are a bunch of high strung OCD pastry students! I digress.
I was coming up to my apartment this evening in the elevator, weighed down with grocery bags, obviously in my school uniform, with a mother and her super cute 6 year old (or so) daughter.
The daughter gave me the once over from slip resistant steel toed shoes to frizzy rain soaked hair with her pink fur coat - hood up over her head, and asked:
"Are you a doctor?"
I smiled down at her and said "HA! No. (smile) I make cakes!"
She replied with large brown doe eyed interest: "You're a cooker?!"
Amazing.

3 comments:

  1. The cake looks great! I don't think I have ever tried Black Forest Cake, looks yummy. I know that you can find your inner ZEN (I think!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're the best, but no cherries and chocolate for moi

    ilysm

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAA!!! She was so close! Tell that kid to change the "c" to an "h" and she's right on the money. KIDDING! I feel like the idea of being zen would only stress you out more. I need to have a talk with this Chef of yours.

    ReplyDelete