Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tuesday, January 5th

Happy New Year!

Sending all my friends and family in snow covered Cleveland some LA heat!

Yesterday we started PBK 141: International Patisserie, Custards, Fillings and Creams with the cute Chef Gilbert (who some of us call Mini Chef as I think she might legally be an L.P.... I digress).

Yesterday we started with a bit of a refresher with Creme Brulee, Creme Caramel a.k.a. Flan (a.k.a. feels-like-swallowing-snot), and Pot de Creme au Chocolat:



Chef said that I did a very nice job (even though I think that I over cooked it a bit).



My texture came out great but I needed to let my caramel color a bit more (but it burns so quickly that I didn't want to take the chance!) Ill have to make the Flan again for our practical on Friday. The plates are garnished with little sugar cookies made from some pate sucree dough we made today for something else.



Unfortunately no ones Pot de Creme came out well - the fat separated (which you cant see without cutting into it), but we didn't feel too bad since the same thing happened to Chef. We also learned out to make our whipped cream look like that...




Today we made Bread and Butter Pudding (above) with a caramel sauce. I LOVE bread pudding but mine was totally undercooked even though it was in the oven for... oh, about ever. Boo. Looks pretty good though, right?!

We also made an Almond Tart with poached pears which we will present tomorrow along with Panna Cotta, Baked Rice Pudding, Fruit Coulis, and Paris Brest.

Im off to do homework: Discuss the history of Paris Brest and St. Honore...

4 comments:

  1. so, how do you make the cream look like that? i thought everything looked very tasty. much better than our munich cheesecake with topping. stopped snowing finally,so i'll go out and do errands. ilysm, mm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought everything lookd Awesome! (sorry couldn't resist!) I have to agree the bread and butter pudding looked great - might need the recipe for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG flan is totally like swallowing snot. I loathe it bust at least yours came out pretty!!

    Keep it up Chef Rambinaberg!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. come on. u missed a day already. i had nothing to read. love you like crazy

    ReplyDelete