Sunday, October 11, 2009

Friday, October 2nd



Today we designed our tarts. I was NOT thrilled with the outcome of mine – mainly because I used too much nappage (the shiny apricot flavored jelly that covers fruit tarts) because it is very important not just for aesthetics but because if you don’t place the gelatin everywhere, the fruit will rot very quickly. I wanted to challenge myself so I used a lot of berries which are tough to cover because of all their little nooks. After that, we made a flaky pie dough for our apple pie that we will make Monday. This was the first time we had to kneed a dough. You cant kneed it too much or else you start to melt the butter with your hands which completely changes the consistency of the crust. So after completely task two, it was on to making scones. We were told to make scones OR buttermilk biscuits – so, I made both. J We were supposed to make chocolate orange scones, but I don’t like chocolate and orange together so I made mine chocolate and lemon. Chef said that they came out nicely and was impressed that I was able to get both tasks done. I thought, after taking my second batch of scones out, that I completely singed all my eyelashes off… I had Pharyn check and she said I was fine so I made her confirm three more times at which point she stopped taking me seriously. Chef asked what was wrong and I told her it was imperative that I have all my eyelashes. She said that sometimes when you get too close to heat, it will fuse mascara together… PHEW. She said my biscuits were amazing and I have to say that they are what I am most proud of for the week. They puffed up beautifully. I should have taken a side picture and not just one from the top so you could really see how high they got. My commute to school takes about half an hour depending on traffic and to get home, about an hour. Im pretty tired at the end of the day, as you can imagine, since we are on our feet and running around for five hours straight without a break – Its like working at CAA! So that was the end of week 1! Monday is our apple pie and a frozen fruit pie… Stay tuned and let me know if you have any questions or comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment