Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tuesday, October 20th

Happy Rosemary, Onion and Olive Focaccia day!!!!

In my haste to get out the door this morning to start making what I do believe to be the tastiest Focaccia ever made in the history of focaccia, I forgot my camera so please excuse the mobile photos...

Yesterday we had lecture and made our baguette dough. Today we learned how to cut it, measure it (each baguette is about 13 ounces), roll it out (too much futzing with the dough and it will tighten in which case you have to let it rest), then actually let the dough rest or "proof" so the dough can rise, cut the slashes in it (they must be long, not too deep, and done quickly with a serrated knife), flour it, bake it (20 minutes in a still oven), brown it (about 10 minutes in the convection oven), and take the breads temperature (it has to be at least 200 degrees)...

Yep. A thermometer... In the bread.

And you thought it was as easy as going to Ralph's and picking up a loaf.


In the picture you will see two classic baguettes and then Epi baguettes which I prefer because they are pretty and crunchy.

The Focaccia... Oooooh, the focaccia. I used more olives than I was supposed to and a little more olive oil we were supposed to and Y to the U to the M. Its almost indecent. After the dough is made, you have to let it rest in a warm area (but not too warm because at 138 degrees, yeast dies), form it in your pan, add the remaining toppings, let it rest again, then bake.



So far, I think this module is going to be the most dangerous. Cream Puffs? Meh. Eclairs? Okay. Devil's Food Cake? Sure. ROSEMARY OLIVE FOCACCIA?!?!!? GET OUT OF TOWN AND COME RIGHT BACK!! I think I have to make it again but this time with a little Asiago or Parmesan on top. I'm just sayin.






2 comments: