Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wednesday, October 7th

Today was a 0 star day and as The Mammacita says, “you have to have the two star days in order to appreciate the four star days…” Well, Gail, what do you say to NEGATIVE star days?!!? On Wednesday we baked our Crème Brulee’s in ramekins that were placed inside a cake pan for a water bath (known in French as a Bain Marie translating to Mary’s Bath), then placed on a sheet pan. Evidentially, my sheet pan was dented because all three of my Crème Brulee’s came out slanted which really became a problem when we started to torch the top of our custards and the sugar on mine slipped to one side and proceeded to burn while the other side remained uncolored. I got yelled at by Chef for keeping the hard caramel part of my Flan on the custard instead of throwing it away and she yelled at me, in front of the class “I SHOULD MAKE YOU EAT THAT!” Today we were to make Cream Puffs and Eclairs. I had to make the pastry cream for my cream puffs THREE times. The first time, I neglected to put the corn starch in. The second time, the girl I don’t love in class messed my meise tray up so the corn starch I needed got shifted and replaced with the confectioners sugar that I didn’t need until later so I had to start all over, yet again. THEN the piped out batter for my cream puffs and éclairs didn’t rise, so I did it again and they didn’t have enough time to cool so I didn’t get to present them which means extra work for tomorrow (filling the éclairs with pastry cream and then dipping them in chocolate and then piping the cream puffs with Chantilly cream which is basically a fancy term for whipped cream (yes Mom, you were right)). THEN I got to my car and it had been keyed. As Lisa says: “Fuck the Flan.” Injuries sustained today: Three burns. One to my ego, one to my thumb on the left hand and one to the middle finger on my left hand: how appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment