Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday, October 12th

Happy Birthday, Lauren!

Today we made sponge cake that is rolled with a lemon curd (mom's favorite) filling and a Genoise cake - both of which we are to present tomorrow...

As for the results of last weeks first practical exam, the comments on my blueberry muffins were, and I quote "great job!" As for the Creme Brulee, the texture was "dee-vine!" and my recipe knowledge was "a little dark around the edges" meaning that when I torched the sugar it got a little dark, but I'll take it! Our normal Chef did not grade us as she was out of town on a book tour last Thursday and Friday (our sub, British Chef Cook, called pans "baking vessels" and I loved her), so I'm more nervous for the THREE exams I have this week (mainly because our Chef makes me nervous and I'm way too eager to please and I don't think she really appreciates sarcasm... ahem...)

Our test tomorrow is product ID which means there will be between 20-25 items set up and we have to identify each one which of course looks fun and interesting on Top Chef... Not so much when its for real and I have to be able to tell the difference between cake flour, pastry flour, bread flour, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch, salt, sugar etc. which all, of course, are white. Then I have my finals on Thursday (written exam) and Friday (practial exam... again). I'm not gunna lie - I'm a bit nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment